Royal Caribbean Youth & Teen Program
Royal Caribbean’s complimentary, year-round Adventure Ocean program is recognized as one of the industry’s leading youth programs.
- For all kids and teens, ages 3 to 17 (all children must be toilet trained – no diapers or pull-ups unless it is based on a disability)
- Programs are offered by age group:
- Royal Babies & Tots 6 mos – 36 mos. (drop off nursery offered on select ships)
- Adventure Ocean Drop Off Programming
- Aquanauts 3-5 years
- Explorers 6-8 years
- Voyagers 9-11 years
- Teen Program
- Teens 12-14 years
- Teens 15-17 years
* Please note 18 year olds are not permitted in the teen program – no exceptions can be made
- All children’s activities are supervised by male or female youth staff that must have a four year University degree or international equivalent in Education, Recreation or a related field. All staff also has at least three to five years qualified experience in working with children ages six months to 17 years. Nursery staff must have the same above qualifications as well attend a 30 hour Nursery Training where the curriculum and hands on experience is in line with Florida State Standards of care.
- Supervised Adventure Ocean children’s activities for 3-11 year-olds:
At sea – 9 am to 5 pm; 7 pm to 10 pm
In port – 30 minutes prior to first shore excursion to 5 pm; and 7 pm to 10 pm
- Staff Hosted teen activities for 12-14 year-olds:
At sea – daytime activities vary; nighttime activities – 8 pm to 1 am.
In port – daytime activities vary; nighttime activities – 8 pm to 1 am
- Staff Hosted teen activities for 15-17 year-olds:
At sea – daytime activities vary; nighttime activities – 9 pm to 1 am or the wee hours
In port – daytime activities vary; nighttime activities – 9 pm to 1 am or the wee hours
- Teens in ages 12-14 and 15-17 are free to come and go from hosted activities as they please
- Teens may join adult activities with the exception of adult sports tournaments and the adult nightclubs (teens have their own nightclubs)
Adventure Ocean Edu-tainment Programming
- Adventure ScienceSM makes learning fun through a blend of hands-on science experiments and wacky entertainment. Experiments include Staggering Through the Stars©, Germ Jungle©, Wacky Water Workshop©, Jurassic Junior©, Environmentation Station© and Volcanoes©.
- Adventure Art offers children the opportunity to exercise their creativity with crafts such as cultural masks and pottery, while learning about the art, history and culture of the regions they visit on vacation. The projects vary according to cruise destination, sharing information on the history, traditions, aquatic habitats and animals indigenous to the Caribbean, Mexico, Alaska, Australia, Asia and Europe.
- Adventure Theater blends educational activities with on-your-feet fun. Adventure Theater participants get a first taste of the actor's craft, in which entire worlds are created with just their bodies, voices and imaginations. Using structured theater games, vocal and physical exercises, and creativity-freeing activities, instructors guide groups through an exploration of the theater arts.
- Sail Into Story Time sparks imaginations and entertains young vacationers with a story hour followed by creative, hands-on activities and projects.
- Family Activities are a free, onboard programs that allow children and their parents to participate in planned activities within a structured environment to spend quality time together. Activities depend on the length of the cruise and can range from family discos, Karaoke, sporting events to talent shows and scavenger hunts.
Sample Activities by Age Group for Adventure Ocean
- Aquanauts (3 - 5 years): Finger Painting * Camp Aquanaut * Building Blocks * Music Activities * Space Night * Games – animal, color and shape BINGO
- Explorers (6 - 8 years): Pirate Night * Nutty Nicknames * Pajama Night * Carnival games * Talent Show
- Voyagers (9 - 11 years): Karaoke * Sports Tournaments * GaGa Ball * List-o-Rama * Boys vs Girls * Scavenger Hunts * Crazy Tag
Sample Activities by Age Group for Teen Programming
- Teens (12 - 14 years): Sports Tournaments * Pool Parties * Scavenger Hunts * Karaoke * Themed Dance Parties * Video Games * Nintendo© Wii *
- Teens (15 - 17 years): Pool Parties * DJ Training * Battle of the Sexes * Karaoke * Casino Night * Themed Dance Parties * Nintendo© Wii-Guitar Hero * Movies
- Island Activities: Beach Parties * Beach Volleyball * Hermit Crab Hunt * Sand Castle Building * Sea Shell Collecting * Rocket Launch * Water Balloon Toss
Royal Babies and Royal Tots
- Aboard select ships, the Royal Babies and Tots Nursery for babies and toddlers 6-36 months old offer parents a childcare drop-off options in the daytime and evening with a carefully maintained and optimum staff to child ratio (one staff to three children). Free-time play also will be offered daily, creating an interactive environment where parents and children can bond while playing with a variety of developmental toys in specially-designed programs offered exclusively for guests sailing with Royal Caribbean. The Royal Tot Art program features unique developmentally-appropriate art activities designed for parents and children to enjoy precious creative moments together. There is a charge of $6 per hour per child from 9 am – 6 pm and $8 per hour per child from 6 pm – midnight.
- During the day, Royal Tots can create early childhood memories at four Royal Tot Art Program workshops. During each 45-minute session, parents and their children enjoy story-time with an Adventure Ocean counselor, and use art products to create the toddler’s first works of art. Themed sessions include My Colorful World (introducing the concept of colors); Families Have Fun (introducing the world of coloring); Let’s Explore the Sea; and Our Big, Big Ship.
- Parents traveling with infants and toddlers can now pack lighter for their cruise with Royal Caribbean’s Babies 2 Go program, where parents can order organic baby food and diapers, wipes and creams by Huggies – the world’s leading diaper brand – for delivery to their staterooms upon their arrival. These baby essentials can be ordered online through Royal Caribbean’s Gifts & Gear section at RoyalCaribbean.com.
- A treasure chest of age appropriate toys are available to families during their stay in the Toy Lending Program, comprising a collection of developmental toys specifically created for infants and toddlers, ages 6 – 36 months. Parents can borrow and exchange toys for a new activity every day to help growing minds learn through play.
Group Sitting and In-Stateroom Baby-Sitting Services
- Late Night Party Zone – Group sitting is available for ages 3 - 11 from 10:00 pm to 2:00 am in the Adventure Ocean center. The cost for this service is $7/hour per child. Children attending must be at least 3 years old and fully toilet trained – no diapers or pull-ups allowed.
- Our Sitters at Sea program is available through the Guest Relations Desk and must be booked at least 24 hours in advance and is based on availability of sitters.
- A Royal Caribbean staff-member will arrive equipped with age appropriate toys and games, to engage and entertain the young cruisers until their parents return. Children must be at least one year old.
- Upon their return, parents will be presented a log of the child’s activities with the babysitter, including books read, games enjoyed, food consumed, and when the child was put to bed.
- The charge is $19 per hour for up to four children within the same family. There is a two-hour minimum requirement.
Adventure Ocean youth facilities are designed to meet the needs of younger guests. Different rooms are used for the different age groupings. Some of the added kid-focused ship facilities and amenities include:
- Movies for children – shown on stateroom televisions
- Adventure Family Library – available in the ships library, this area offers classic and popular family titles in a variety of languages (based on the ship’s itinerary) and a comfortable reading area for kids to relax and delve into a book, individually or with a parent.
- Royal Bedtime Stories – this activity invites the whole family to the Adventure Family Library to enjoy a bedtime story and lullabies. Children are encouraged to dress in their pajamas, while an Adventure Ocean counselor reads from one among a variety of popular storybooks
- My Family Time Dining – this new program aims to help kids complete dinner within 45 minutes, freeing parents to enjoy coffee and desert at their leisure. Once seated, kids will enjoy expedited service and be immediately served. Available only during the first seating in the main dining room, kids registered in the complimentary Adventure Ocean youth program and My Family Time Dining will be met by Adventure Ocean counselors at the main dining room entrances at 6:45 p.m. and be escorted back to the Adventure Ocean spaces for ongoing evening activities, while parents can continue to enjoy their dinner.
- Adventure Ocean Dining – allows young guests to eat dinner on several nights in the most popular dining areas with their favorite youth staff and new friends
- Fountain Soda Package – allows guests up to 18 years of age to enjoy as many soft drinks as they like for a fixed price for the duration of the cruise (prices vary with cruise length).
# # #